The mission of the organization is to promote the education of our community youth by providing instruction, mentoring and participation in sports such as basketball to individuals under the age of eighteen in an environment designed to teach both the physical skills of the sport as well as emphasizing the teamwork, sportsmanship, discipline, sacrifice, and leadership that are integral parts of participating in the sport and to also teach how these skills translate into lasting and valuable life skills beyond the sport itself.
The fundamental purpose of SASC is to operate as a non-profit organization within which its members can actively participate in promoting self-esteem, discipline, friendship, cooperation, contribution, and sportsmanship. As corollaries to this purpose, SASC will strive:
- To consistently apply program values to all levels of SASC’s programs and membership, including directors, board members, administrators, program coordinators, coaches, program participants, and general membership.
- To design activities that serve and support the Asian community.
- To utilize basketball and /or other endeavors as a means of developing skills and continuing opportunities for community involvement and contribution.
SASC is a non-profit organization that offers a year-round basketball program for Asian community youth. The organization, through its coaches, utilizes individual skill development and team play as a means to foster a sense of values as a responsible person. Our goal is to encourage our youths’ contribution to the community beyond their participation as players.
- To provide a formal program of organized athletics and other activities for the youth of the Asian community.
- To encourage the development and practice of mentorship among program participants.
- To develop a desire to provide leadership and/or participation in the Asian community.
- To foster a sense of values as responsible contributors to the community.
- To promote a spirit of volunteerism.
- To provide opportunities for Asian families and friends to interact within and across cultures.
- To provide opportunities for families to apply the values of self-esteem, discipline, friendship, cooperation, contribution, and sportsmanship in a broader context.
For the Asian Community
- To be an example of the application of cultural values in the contemporary arena.
- To be a resource for the community.
For SASC Coaches
- To exemplify, in attitudinal and behavioral terms, the values of self-esteem, discipline, friendship, cooperation, contribution, and sportsmanship.
- To provide an avenue for adults and returning participants to positively participate and contribute to the Asian community.
- To provide opportunities for individuals to personally develop as teachers of self-esteem, discipline, friendship, cooperation, contribution, and sportsmanship.
For SASC Leadership
- To communicate, disseminate, ensure, and be accountable for the consistent application of program values.
- To be anticipatory of strategic program needs.
For the Broader Community
- To promote openness and awareness within and between communities of interest on issues of cultural diversity.
- To establish a cross-cultural forum/format for awareness and interaction.
- To provide a working model of cross-cultural self-esteem, discipline, friendship, cooperation, contribution, and sportsmanship.